Sunday 18 December 2011

Dumm conclusions

I have been struggling to get my two XBee pro's to communicate with each other. However there has been no progress in that and I couldn't figure out why.
Do you know when you think you know something about something and when you're reading about it you kind of skip some parts just because you think you already know what's coming there!?
Well, this was the case... I was thinking I knew enough already about the XBee to go straight to the programming stage... However, just because I have the XBee pro 900 digimesh RP-SMA that wasn't so right.
The reason is simple: turns out that RP-SMA is a connector for the actual antenna. Needless to say that without an antenna there is no communication!

"The UFL and RP-SMA options are just connectors, they require an antenna tuned to the correct frequency and with the proper connector in order to function!" http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/modules.html

Next step: buy a couple of antennas!

No comments:

Post a Comment